You consider yourself to be quite handy. If there’s something wrong in your house, you will do whatever it takes to fix the problem on your own. Unfortunately, sprinkler system installation is anything but easy and one small mistake could prove to be costly.
Here are some common DIY sprinkler installation mistakes to avoid:
- Hitting a gas, electric, or cable line – It’s never a good idea to start digging random trenches in your yard. Our advice? Before starting your sprinkler project, be sure to contact your utility company first. These people will know exactly what you’re dealing with and ensure your safety. After all, we’re guessing you don’t want to test your luck with hitting the gas, electric, or cable line.
- Forgetting about tree roots – Tree roots can wreak havoc on an irrigation system. More specifically, they can make installation incredibly difficult. In some cases, you may have to contact a tree doctor to identify which roots can be cut and which ones can’t. As important as your sprinkler system will be, it’s probably not worth putting your tree at risk. Get in touch with a professional if you have any doubt about tree roots.
- Going too high with sprinkler heads – We are often asked what the recommended height is for sprinkler heads. Here’s the thing: if they elevate more than a half-inch above ground, they may be damaged by lawn mowers and other hazards. Our sprinkler system repair pros recommend digging around the sprinkler head until you reach the pipeline. Then dig just below the pipeline so the entire unit sits lower in the ground. This might seem like an inconvenience, but trust us when we say it’s worth the extra few seconds.
- Putting the water supply at risk – Not many homeowners realize that backflow prevention devices keep water from irrigation pipes from flowing back to the city water system. Believe it or not, you could be putting your water supply or your neighbor’s water supply at risk if you don’t opt for professional installation.
- Settling for an inferior system – Not all residential sprinkler systems are the same. Sure, it might make sense initially to go with the cheapest system and be done with it. You probably won’t be happy, though, when you’re shelling out more money for leak repairs on a regular basis.
Premier Irrigation Systems in New Jersey
Tanz Inc. has been dubbed New Jersey’s “Irrigation King” and for good reason. We understand that a well-designed residential sprinkler system is fundamental to a beautiful yard. That’s why every system we design and install is customized to the homeowner’s needs.
Here at Tanz, our sprinkler systems are designed to maximize efficiency, minimize waste, and ensure the right amount of watering for your yard. You can count on Tanz to develop the ideal solution for your property and budget.
No other company in New Jersey has the same level of expertise as Tanz. Don’t hesitate to come to us for any of the following:
- Sprinkler system blowout
- Winterizing sprinkler system
- Sprinkler system installation
- Sprinkler system repair
- And more
Contact us today to get started.